It’s that time again, when a weekend of preparation will save you massive headaches, not to mention lots of money, later in the fall and winter. Your time and attention may also help you avoid a disaster down the road. Whether it’s water seeping in causing flood damage, excess moisture developing to cause mold damage, or dirty ducts spreading dust and grime on your home’s carpets and furnishings, you can do a lot to keep your home in DeKalb, Sycamore or DeKalb County safe and clean this fall and winter. ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning Services by Skip is on hand with professional disaster repair and residential cleaning services if things take a turn for the worse, but let’s plan ahead so they don’t.
The University of Illinois Extension Service recommends checking and fixing a range of possible problems in the fall that could spell trouble for you once the snow is flying and freezing temperatures make them that much harder to cope with.
- Clean and check your gutters to prevent foundation seepage and basement flooding damage, especially during periods of brief temperature jumps or rapid melting
- Have your HVAC checked and serviced. Winter heating outages can cause frozen and broken pipes, resulting in home flooding and increasing the risk of mold damage. Don’t forget to replace furnace filters regularly through the season.
- Examine your ducting and seal any potential air leaks to reduce energy loss
- If have a fireplace, have it checked along with your chimney and flue
- Examine all plumbing, inside and out, for leaks or corrosion
- Check the fittings on your washer, dryer, hot water heater, and other appliances
- Check your outer walls for any signs of foundation cracks or masonry damage and make needed repairs
- Check your smoke detectors and replace any low batteries
If it helps, make a checklist and devote a morning to a walkthrough of your house and yard. Your attention now could help prevent flooding, fire damage, or mold accumulation. For fire disaster repair and restoration, water removal, flood damage repair, or mold removal and remediation, you can count on ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning Services by Skip for your residential disaster services in DeKalb, Sycamore or DeKalb County. Call us today.