Everyone is airing out their homes in preparation for a beautiful summer season. You may be focusing on dusting, floor cleaning, or removing old junk out of the house, but there is one task that people tend to forget: cleaning the air ducts. ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning Services by Skip would like to take a minute to remind everyone that air duct cleaning is an important household task that shouldn’t be ignored. Here is some great information provided by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on when and how air duct cleaning should be taken care of.
When is the right time for air duct cleaning? Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Is there visible mold growth inside the air ducts or on other areas of your cooling and heating system?
- Are there vermin present in the air ducts such as rodents, insects, etc?
- Are the ducts clogged with a substantial amount of debris, dust, or particles, and have you noticed these particles being released throughout your home?
- Has it been over a year(s) since the air ducts were last checked out?
- Are you or any household members experiencing symptoms such as excessive sneezing, coughing, wheezing, eye/throat/nose irritation, or breathing difficulties only when in the home?
If you have answered “yes” to any of the questions above, you may want to consider getting your air ducts cleaned. Getting the ducts inspected and cleaned can’t hurt, but it isn’t something that needs to be done on a routine basis.
So how do you go about getting our air ducts cleaned? The EPA recommends hiring a professional to ensure that this task is handled properly. Before hiring a company, here are their recommendations for choosing a duct cleaning provider:
- Do not hire duct cleaners that try to use scare tactics to win the sale. For example, someone might claim that you’ll develop asthma without getting your air ducts checked on a routine basis.
- Make sure that chemical biocides or chemical treatments will not be used unless you fully understand the pros and cons of using said products
- Check references! It’s important to know if other customers were satisfied with the company in question.
- Only hire companies that are experienced in duct cleaning and have worked on a system like yours
- Check with the service provider to see if they hold any relevant state licenses
- Find out what the full scope and charges for the work are before getting started
If you feel that your home needs its air ducts cleaned, make sure it’s done right. ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning Services by Skip has the licensure, experience, and the no-scam attitude you need to best handle the job. We provide duct cleaning in Genoa and Cortland, IL. For more information on our air duct cleaning policies, call us today!