The Midwest has seen its fair share of rain shower and storms this spring, and there are more on the way! Some of the more annoying and inconvenient aspects for storms are sewage backups. When there is a septic tank backup or a clogged sewer line, it’s a dirty job to clean up. Ideally, sewage cleanup in Cortland, IL should be left to the professionals. Until they arrive, however, there are some steps you should start to minimize the odors and damage done to your home.
What to do before the professionals arrive:
- Before you start the work, protect yourself by putting on rubber boots, gloves, and a mask. Flood and sewage waters are filled with bacteria so be cautious!
- Using a shovel, or similar tool, remove solids, place into a heavy plastic bag, and dispose in a trash receptacle
- Soak up liquid with towels, rags, or paper towels, and dispose of these in plastic garbage bags. Do not try to wash any of the towels or rags you used to clean up sewage!
- If you are dealing with a smaller area, use a wet/dry vacuum to suck up any remaining puddles
- Take plastic sheeting and tape it to the floor to avoid affecting other areas of the house
- Regardless if the items are damaged or undamaged, place all contents that have been in contact with the sewage backup outside to air out. This includes carpets and rugs.
- Open windows and use box fans and dehumidifiers to start letting out the odors
- If time permits, thoroughly mop the area with a solution of bleach and water mixed 1:1
When the professionals arrive, they will take the next steps to completely rid your home of sewage and excess moisture. If you’ve called specialized water damage restoration experts like ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning Services by Skip, they can do more than just remove water. We can take affected items like carpets, rugs, and furniture and restore them to their pre-loss condition. Using industry-grade equipment, your home will be back to its normal state in no time!
For more information on our sewage cleanup services in Cortland, IL, call us today! ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning Services by Skip will get the damage and stink of sewage out of your home the right way— every time.