You may think your home or business is water tight, but if it’s 20 years old the building could have experienced some settling, and two decades of winters means successive freezing and thawing of the surrounding soil. Even if there are minor cracks in the masonry or foundation, your roof gutter system should prevent any heavy flow of water in that direction. That is, provided your gutters are doing their job. If they’re not, and water is flowing down the outer walls and cascading toward your foundation, be ready for flooding. ServiceMaster by Skip provides professional flood and water damage repair and restoration for De Kalb County and surrounding areas.
University of Illinois Extension experts say it’s important to keep your gutters and downspouts in good working order. They are your front line of defense against floods caused by seepage or undermining. Here are some tips:
- Check gutters and downspouts at least twice a year, with spring and fall being the best times to perform an inspection. That means getting on a ladder; you can’t see what’s wrong from the ground until there’s a problem.
- Look for any discoloration on surrounding walls, fascia, or fittings. It may be mold or mildew caused by trapped moisture such as standing water in your eves.
- Look for any water overflowing the front or back edges of the gutter or leaking through section connectors.
- Look for any rust, especially around nail or screw holes or connections.
- See that your gutters are hanging evenly outward from the wall. Any sagging is a sign of trouble.
- Install a rain barrel to help with large runoffs
- Make sure your downspouts lead well away from the house and surrounding ground is properly sloped
If your gutters are steel rather than aluminum or copper, rust is inevitable. Consult a reputable gutter service to determine if repairs or replacement is your best option, given your budget. Proper maintenance is one of the best ways to avoid water damage in your home or business. If the worst does happen, contact ServiceMaster by Skip. We know how to quickly halt any further water damage, and we provide efficient water removal and water damage repair services for Sycamore, De Kalb, and surrounding communities.