It’s important for you and your family to stay warm throughout the cold winter months DeKalb, IL, is known for. However, as you plug in space heaters, stoke the fire, and turn up the heat, make sure that you stay safe.
Housefires are fairly common during the winter months, but there are plenty of ways for you to prevent fire damage around your home. Let’s take a look at some of the most common causes of housefires and how to prevent them!
Heating Systems: Although cigarettes are the primary cause of fire damage and housefires across the United States, heating systems are the most likely causes during the winter months. Always check whether or not space heaters are functioning correctly before plugging them in for the season, and make sure to clean wood-burning fireplaces regularly. Also, never leave these heating sources unattended! This will reduce your risk of fire damage.
Candles: The number of candle-related fires has only increased over the years. Always make sure to completely blow out candles before leaving the house, or even before leaving the room. It’s not uncommon for a wick to reignite if it hasn’t been properly extinguished. Also, make sure candles are out of reach of children or pets, and keep them away from flammable materials!
Cooking: A lot of indoor cooking happens during the month of December, especially around the holidays. Make sure to double-check that ovens and stovetops are off and cool before leaving the house. Additionally, if you’re thinking about a deep-fried turkey this season, perhaps reconsider; misused deep fryers increase your home’s risk of fire damage.
Decorations: If you bring live decorations into your home during the month of December, such as trees or wreaths, keep an eye on them. Allowing these items inside your home is similar to bringing tinder indoors, especially if they dry out. After an electrical malfunction or a misplaced candle, these items are most likely to catch fire, and your family may be a risk of fire damage.
Fire damage is a serious issue to consider in DeKalb, IL, this winter. If you have already experienced fire damage within your home, the professionals at ServiceMaster Restoration and Skip are here to help. Give us a call at (815) 754-5500 today for all of your restoration needs following fire damage.