Moisture Prevention Tips in DeKalb, IL from ServiceMaster by Skip
Moisture or high humidity is great if you’re trying to grow tropical plants or simulate a rain forest. It’s not what you want in your home, especially in your crawl spaces, basement or any sub-ground levels. Walls, floors, piping and other metal surfaces tend to be cooler than the rest of the house and in summer, much cooler than the air outside. Your goal is to keep indoor air dry to prevent condensation that will result in mold, mildew or water damage in your home in DeKalb, Sycamore or DeKalb County. ServiceMaster by Skip can help with water removal, water damage repair or mold remediation if you need it, but we want to offer some tips to prevent damage if possible.
- Check the surfaces of your appliances, along with the floor and walls behind them, and any drains or hoses leading from them. Washers and dryers usually help compensate for lower temperatures, but washers can leak or spray water when shifting cycles.
- Look for any standing water on the floor, especially near basement windows, window wells or water pipes. If you can, follow water pipes across the ceiling to check for moisture collecting on pipe surfaces. If your pipes are hidden by ceiling tile, look for discoloration or stains.
- Examine all drains and bathroom fixtures as well as any water collection trays or tanks in air conditioning units or dehumidifiers. They may develop leaks or overflow if they don’t drain properly.
- Check your basement windows for openings, warped wood, and cracked or missing glass. They should lock and fit snuggly.
- Test your window wells to make sure they drain water away from the exterior walls, instead of trapping gallons of rainfall that will run down to the foundation. Install window well covers where needed.
- Clean and inspect your roof gutters and downspouts twice a year.
Your basement or lower level windows are essentially a means for emergency escape. They need to be in working order, but not present a risk during storms. By keeping them shut, you also prevent warm, humid air from entering and making contact with cooler surfaces in the basement. According to the University of Illinois Extension Service, it doesn’t take much moisture to start mold growing on walls or behind them. If you have a water problem or smell mold or mildew, give us a call for the best in mold removal, water removal and water damage repair. ServiceMaster by Skip is your best solution for moisture and water damage in the DeKalb County area.